#TheSyndromeFilm: Shaken Baby Syndrome Documentary and Wrongful Convictions
We are pleased to join investigative reporter Susan Goldsmith and filmmaker Meryl Goldsmith in announcing that their powerful film on shaken baby syndrome, “The Syndrome” will be available everywhere on video on demand starting April 15, 2016. iTunes, DirecTV, In Demand (cable outlets), Amazon Instant and so many more are all distributing the film.
An estimated 1,000 innocent people are currently incarcerated based on doctors diagnosing shaken baby syndrome, a child abuse theory that has been disavowed as “junk science.” The prosecutions, false allegations and devastation of innocent peoples’ lives continues even as the science has dissolved.
Several years ago, in England, the prosecution re-examined a series of its shaken baby convictions and re-evaluated its policies and procedures for handling such cases. Interestingly, the new wrongful conviction integrity unit in the LA County District Attorney’s Office told California Public Radio that they plan to review shaken baby cases.
- The Syndrome, Apple iTunes.
- The Syndrome, Facebook.
- Tara Haelle, Doctors Devise a Better Way to Diagnose Shaken Baby Syndrome, NPR North Carolina (Jul. 29, 2015).
- Samantha Adams, Shaken Baby Syndrome and Wrongful Convictions, Innocence Project of Florida: Plain Error (Mar. 30, 2015).
- Innocence Project, Washington Post In-Depth Investigation: Shaken Baby Syndrome, (Mar. 23, 2015).
- California Innocence Project, Shaken Baby Syndrome.
- Jae C. Hong, LA County’s New Wrongful Conviction Unit Flooded with Hundreds of Innocence Claims, 89.3KPCC (Nov. 13, 2014).
- Innocence Project, Shaken Baby Cases To Be Reviewed, (Aug. 11, 2014).
- James Ross Gardner, The Trouble with Shaken Baby Syndrome, Seattle Met (Apr. 2, 2014).
- Anthony DiPietro, Battle of Experts: Controversy in Shaken Baby Case Set for NY Court, Pace Criminal Justice Blog (Feb. 14, 2014).
- Steve Orr, Judge Orders Special Hearing in Shaken Baby Case, Democrat & Chronicle (Jan. 24, 2014).
- Steve Orr, Watchdog Report: Shaken-Baby Science Doubt Grows, Democrat & Chronicle (June 29, 2013).
- Gary Craig, Watchdog Report: Shaken-Baby Triad Still Rules in New York Courts, Democrat & Chronicle (June 30, 2013).